If you’re currently experiencing a pest control issue, you could be thinking about calling an exterminator.
Step One – Control
Bugs like ants and roaches usually come into your house looking for food. The first step to freeing your home of pests is to make that as difficult for them as possible. Your pest control specialist will help you learn how to reduce their food supply, and thus their numbers.
• Don’t leave food uncovered or laying out for extended intervals. Including pet food and water dishes.
• Leaky drains and dishwashers provide moisture for bugs. Make sure to care for any plumbing issues to help reduce vermin.
• Trash cans should be stored outside. If that’s not possible, take the trash out daily. Clean your trash receptacle often to ensure there’s nothing left for bugs to eat.
• Don’t leave open containers of food in drawers and cabinets. Invest in plastic storage containers to keep your cabinets bug free.
Once your living space is free of items that attract the bugs, your pest control specialist will normally spread a protective layer around the perimeter. This will ensure that bugs won’t run into these areas once their nests are destroyed.
Step Two – Fixing the Source
While step one will drastically reduce the amount of bugs you see on a daily basis, it won’t rid your home of them. To do so, your specialist should discover the source of the infestation.
The exterminator will thoroughly assess places where vermin commonly nest. These are usually dark, moist places, such as:
• Cabinets and drawers
• Behind refrigerators and stoves
• In closets, especially if there is a water heater
• About baseboards and decorative edgings
Once a nest is found, the expert will use specialized chemicals to kill off the bugs. Any cracks or openings which they find should also be sealed to prevent any of the bugs from escaping and infesting different areas of the home.
Step Three – Maintenance
By this time, your bug problem should be well controlled. However, to guarantee that the problem doesn’t happen again, a little preventative maintenance could be suggested.
• Continue to make sure water and food sources for vermin are cleared regularly
• Various traps and baits can be placed in areas that are normally attractive to pests
• Be sure to inspect furniture and other seldom used belongings and areas of the home regularly for signs of action
While there are lots of over the counter products available that claim to help rid your home of bugs and vermin, many of them are not as successful as they claim. It’s easier, faster, and generally a lot more effective to employ a trained pest management specialist or Vero Beach Wildlife Control to help free your home of infestations.